Pages

18 March 2011

Gear Review: Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24mm rifle scope by Vortex Optics

Overview:  So it's been a few weeks since I tested the KonusPro 1.5-6x44mm scope and in that time, I hit the internet again in search for the ideal scope for my needs.  I just want a scope that has illuminated reticles, some sort of ranging capabilities, and variable power starting at 1X.   Well, the searching paid off because I came across a very well built scope.  The VORTEX VIPER PST 1-4X24MM scope.


First a little about the scope.  It has all the features I'm looking for plus the added benefit of being shock and waterproof.  Nitrogen purged, fully coated optics, a neat ranging scale reticle, and backed by what I've heard to be excellent customer service (hopefully I will never have to use it).

I picked up a set of these Leupold quick release rings along with the scope.  I know, some of you guru's are saying, that's not going to work.  Well, you're right, but more on that later.

The box.  Picked it up at a local store for $499.99.  A fair price.

Left side of the label shows the PST reticle.

The scope comes with (1) owner's manual, (1) MRAD user guide, (1) cleaning cloth, and (1) accessory pack containing a battery, brass shims, and allen key.
View as seen from the front.
It appears that Vortex now ships this scope with a bikini style lens cover.  I personally do not like this.  On a scope that costs $500, you would think they would throw in some nice flip-ups.

I'm not a machinist, but from what I can see, the machining is nice.  Notice the adjustments are in mils and clearly indicated on the turret heads.  I noticed that the windage dials do not have the red fiber optic indicator as the elevation dial does.
Elevation and windage dials DO move up and down as the scope is adjusted and is clearly marked, making it easy to see.  The MILLET DMS-1 does not have this feature which I like.  The elevation turret does have a red fiber optic indicator.  I suppose this is to help you get back to center.  Personally, I don't see this to be a critical feature. 

Left side of the elevation turret.
Right side view of the eye piece.  Notice the nice knurling on the magnification dial, which turns very nicely.  Not to easily, but consistently with a good amount of resistance. 
The illumination dial is variable from 1-10.  Intensity settings 1-4 must be for NVD's as it is not visible with the naked eye.  From 5 on, the four (4) quadrants of the reticle lights up nicely.  The dots between the numbers are off positions. 

Again, nice machining or casting on the power setting.  Various points of the magnification are marked by raised tabs on the magnification dial.
The label that has so many folks disturbed.  Yes, the scope clearly states "Made in Philippines." From what I see so far, the quality of the build (from what I tell without shooting it) is on par with my Leupold.   The turrets feels different on the Vortex than on my Leupold. Less of a click, but very positive still, on the Vortex (my Leupold is about twenty years old and still holding strong).
As for the reticle, it's alittle hard to see.  I have read elsewhere that if you have good vision it shouldn't be a problem.  Well, for me, the problem isn't that I can't see the reticle because I can.  I just find it extremely hard to read the scale because it's so fine!   The reticle is so fine that you can easily reference targets out to 800m or so, but you can forget about quick range estimation.  I prefer the mil-dots.


I have also read somewhere that the illuminated reticle is not visible in bright day light.  Could be true on a bright sunny day in the desert, but as you can see in the pictures below, it is visible (and very usable).

The reticle without illumination at approximately 10 meters.  The super fine scale is what I was referring to earlier (the backdrop in this picture is my DIY archery target).

The reticle with illumination turned on.  The scope is facing into the sun, pointed at the shaded side of a bush, approximately 8 meters away.

Pointing at a small palm tree in full sun.  As you can see, the reticle is clearly visible even against a reddish background.  Also, notice how bright the optics are.  There is really no discernible difference (in terms of darkening) between what you see with the naked eye vs what you see through the scope.  Great optical quality.


Conclusion:  I've had the scope for two days now and after milling things out around my neighborhood, I decided not to keep it.  The reticle was just too fine for my liking.  Even at 1x magnification, I found it slightly difficult to quickly get on target.  For me, if the reticle was just a hair thicker, this scope would definitely have been the clear winner.


RE scope mounts:  Well, the mount does allow the scope to be fitted onto the AR nicely, however, I have the MagPul flip up rear sights and with this particular mount, the scope sits too low.  Infact, about 15% of the view through the scope is blacked out. 



1 comment:

  1. For a better vision, do prefer vortex. Ultimate scope. (Y)

    ReplyDelete