Pages

20 March 2011

Bug Out Bag (B.O.B.) for your Vehicle, Packing List

     Living in Southern California, we all have our suspicions that the "big one" may hit someday.  It could be in the form of an earthquake or as I recently became aware of,  in the form of a 500 year rain storm that could potentially drop 10 ft of rain over a period of approximately 30 days.   Meteorologist say that having a major rain storm is as probable as having a major earthquake.  So what can I do?  Well, nothing to change the weather, but you can prepare as best you can to make the ride a little easier.


     Since the big earthquake last week in Japan (11Mar2011), thousands of people have become aware of the need to prepare for a major natural disaster.   Infact, the local surplus stores are just going crazy with the amount of traffic they have been getting.  I saw one gentleman walk out of the store, pushing a flat cart filled with 10 cases of MRE's!  WOW, talk about  feeling the pressure!  Either way, I think he did the right thing preparing for the worst.  Having a large supply of survival goods at home is an excellent, potentially life-saving idea.  But what happens if you're not at home?  What if, like the vast majority of us, you are at work when the "big one" hits?  I suppose if you live only a few miles away, it's not a big deal:  just walk it.  However, if you're like me and the majority of the population in Southern California, you commute more than 40 miles to work each day.  That's 20 miles you have to hump if the "big one" hits while you are at work.  Are you prepared for a walk of that distance?  Maybe, maybe not.  You may be thinking, "wait I commute twenty miles, I'm screwed!"  Don't feel bad, I commute 37 miles each way to work (the laughs on me, so go ahead).  But you know what?  I'm prepared for such a scenario and hopefully after reading this blog, you can get an idea of what to pack and how to plan in case you find yourself in a similar situation.
 

************************************************************************************************************


VEHICLE BUGOUT PACK ( download packing list here - pdf )


Pack type:  Voodoo MSP-4 Enhanced Hydration Pack

All the items below layed out.

NAVIGATION:
1 EA, 1:24K map of possible E&E departure points in waterproof bags
1 EA, GPS with spare batteries
1 EA, headlamp (preferred) or flashlight


SIGNAL/COMMUNICATION:
1 EA, cell phone
4 EA, chem-lite


PERSONAL DEFENSE:
1 EA, pepper spray
1 EA, folding knife


SHELTER:
1 EA, emergency blanket


FOOD/WATER:
8 EA, bottled water (used to fill hydration pack)
4 EA, individual sized electrolyte mix (ie, Gatorade or Cytomax)
4 EA, bottled water (packed)
8 EA, energy gel packs
•  emergency food to provide enough calories to get you home


CLOTHING:
1 PR, running shoes
1 PR, running pants
1 EA, running shorts
1 EA, moisture wicking t-shirt
1 EA, thin sweater
1 PR, socks
1 EA, hat
1 PR, thin work gloves


PERSONAL HYGEINE/FIRST AID:
1 EA, package of bath wipes
1 EA, roll of Krylex
4 EA, alcohol prep pads
2 EA, 4x4 sterile gauze
3 EA, large bandaids
1 EA, 7x8 dressing
1 EA, cravat or bandana
1 EA, roll of medical adhesive tape

************************************************************************************************************


The PLAN:


1)  Separate all items into categories (ie, First-Aid, Clothing, Food, etc).  Place all items into water tight plastic bags.


*   I used Ziploc type plastic bags and Food Saver bags to waterproof and organize my gear.


2)  Place all items into the hydration pack.  Be sure to pack critical items in easy to reach locations.


*   My Navigation, Signal/Communication, and Personal Defense items are stored in the easy access outer compartments.

The elastic cord that zig-zags across the front of it can be used to secure your jacket when you don't need it.

The two pictures above are of my Vehicle Bugout Pack loaded, minus the water and shoes.  Notice the small mesh pockets (half unzipped) to the right of the picture.  There is one on each side of the waist band and this is a perfect place to stow your keys, spare change, etc.

3)  When the time comes to bugout, fill your hydration pack bladder with the bottled water.  Store as much of the remaining bottled water into your pack.


*   I keep a case of bottled water in my car for the purpose of filling my hydration pack bladder. I chose bottled water over containers of pre-made "emergency water" because of the cost and simplicity of rotating stock.


4)  Put on your running clothes and shoes.


*   I chose to pack running clothes in my bugout kit for one reason only.  I plan on getting back to my family as fast as possible, which means keeping things light for my run home.


5)  Place your pre-written E&E note in a visible area AND tell a co-worker/friend (if available) where you're going.


*   My E&E note has a strip of double sided tape on the back so that I can easily stick it on a wall or something.


6)  Move out with a purpose and don't let anything or anyone stop you.  Get home to your loved ones.

Notice the zippered pocket on top running horizontally.

That zippered pocket contains a mesh flap that can be used to secure larger items to the hydration pack.

For demonstration purposes, I've secured my running shoes in case I want to run barefeet (more on this in a future blog).

Side view of the outer flap enclosure.  It's a very cool feature that I really like about the MSP-4 hydration pack.



*   Be mentally ready.  You may see disturbing things on your way back home.  People will notice that you have prepared.  Don't let them stop you or take your gear.  Keep this in mind:  if you don't know the condition of your family or loved ones, they may be in need of your help, too!
          _______________________________________________________
Note:  The hydration pack, at a minimum, should be large enough to fit all the items except the bottled water, clothes, and shoes.  If everything fits, even better, as long as the hydration pack has compression straps.


*   My running shoes, spare bottled water supply (except the four bottles), and Vehicle Bugout Pack are kept together in a duffel bag in my car.  The running shoes and spare bottled water aren’t kept in my hydration pack so that I can save space which allow me to have a smaller, lighter hydration pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment